Thursday, March 28, 2013

Leather Vest & Trumpet Hems

This fash-n-spiration is based on two big trends from fall 2012-leather moto vests and trumpet hemlines.  The leather vest was seen on many celebrities last year, including Jessica Alba, who was spotted wearing hers often.  I like how she makes her look effortlessly cool.
 



The trumpet hemlines were shown on the fall 2012 runways of Stella McCartney, Etro, and DKNY.  I would say they kind of remind me of a low-hanging, exaggerated peplum.  I'm a sucker for flouncy skirts(they make you look like the wind is blowing around you contantly), so this trend made me take notice.  I doubt I'll actually go out and buy another piece with this hemline because though nothing in fashion is really new and this hemline has had its moments before, it still seems too trendy for me and I don't see it sticking around for a long time.*shrugs*

Here are some examples:









Anyways, the good news for me is that I did not have to go and purchase either of these pieces because I already had similar items. (I'm always amazed at the forgotten treasures I have in my closet!) Both of these items were purchased in 2010 and were'nt as trendy then.  I remember pencil skirts, maxi lengths, and body cons being the preferred silhouettes.  Vests had a big moment around 2007 or 2008 but I think people still saw leather as "rocker" so it didn't catch on as much.  Now that I've seen how others style it, I went for it.  I added black thigh-high boots because the place where the hemline fell made my legs look funny when I paired it with pumps.  I was pleased how my "forgotten treasures" came together :)
(P.S-I know you can't see the hemline as good in my pic ("selfies" are HARD), but you get the point!)

*Me- Leather Vest: Candie's for Kohl's; Skirt: Burlington Coat Factory; Boots: Cathy Jean

No comments:

Post a Comment