Sunday, September 29, 2013

Mixing Prints and Owning It

     So I decided to go a bit out of my comfort zone with this one and try mixing prints (*fingers crossed*).  Of course, Solange is the QUEEN of this trend so I looked to her style first for a bit of inspiration.  Most features I came across for mixing prints with stripes were recommending that you add florals-NO.  Solange, Heidi Klum, and Reese Witherspoon have all done the pairing, but I just didn't really like it for myself.


Apparently, there are rules for following this trend (lol) so here's what I followed in putting together the outfit...
  • Begin with choosing a bold printed piece, be it a printed top, skirt, or blazer (I chose a blazer)
  • Stick to one color family (check)
  • Stick to a max of 2 prints in your outfit (I added small pink zebra earrings *shrugs*)
  • The key to mixing prints is all in the size and shape (small verticals, one big horizontal)
  • If mixing bright prints are too overwhelming for you, choose black and white prints for a classy ensemble and bring a dash of color with a bold bag, shoes, or other accessories  (check)
And I found this last rule on another site and thought it was so cute and fitting for what I was trying to do...
  • If you are usually fashionably conservative, mixing two directions of stripes may be too big a stretch for your style. Any sense of uncertainty you have with your outfit will show – so if you do decide to wear vertical and horizontal stripes together, walk with a purpose. Be prepared for a few stares, but rest assured that you are simply more fashion evolved.
LOL

In the end, Olivia Palermo's print pairing came closest to what I was willing to try.  The color isn't too bold and the look is simple yet interesting.  It makes you do a double take (at least with me it did)- not because it looks bad, but because it actually looks GOOD.

**Me-Blazer-JC Penney; Cami: Charlotte Russe; Pants: JCPenney; Shoes: Prabal Gurung for Target; Clutch: Express; Earrings: Charlotte Russe


Photo Credit: www.typef.com/article/can-wear-vertical-stripe-shirt-horizontal-stripe-cardigan/; http://hot2molly.com/2013/07/26/mixing-prints-be-bold-look-fierce/; http://www.fabsugar.com/Celebrities-Mixing-Prints-2013-30923517

No comments:

Post a Comment